To the Editor:
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is the only entity that can vary the application of the zoning regulations. Thus, the ZBA plays an important role in balancing public health, safety, convenience, welfare and property values and protecting individual property owners from unnecessary hardship. This essential board requires dedicated board members committed to transparent, fair and legally compliant decision making.
On November 7th, I strongly encourage the voters in Old Lyme to re-elect and elect the Republican endorsed Zoning Board of Appeals candidates. I will let the record speak for itself:
• Nancy Hutchinson (U) – While serving on the Zoning Board of Appeals since 2014, Nancy has been unanimously elected Chair since 2018. Nancy is responsible for the development of the Zoning Board of Appeals’ “Residential Variance Application Guide,” which helps applicants in making prudent land use decisions. She has completed extensive training in Connecticut Land Use as approved by the Connecticut Bar Association, UCONN, CT-DEEP, and FEMA. Living in Old Lyme for over 27 years, her leadership on the Zoning Board of Appeals has been exemplary.
• Dan Montano – Dan served on the Zoning Board of Appeals for 4 years and was an active and well-informed member. Committed to fairness and reasonableness in the zoning appeals process, Dan’s experience is significant as he is intimately familiar with the major land use issues facing Old Lyme.
• Roderick Clingman – As an incumbent alternate member of the Old Lyme Zoning Board of Appeals, Rod is running for re-election having served on the board for the past two years. Rod, a 20 year+ resident of Old Lyme, is known for being fair-minded while being committed to maintaining the charm and small-town beauty of Old Lyme. He is actively familiar with the current matters in front of the Zoning Board of Appeals and brings essential continuity to the board.
• Peter Lucchese – Peter is running as an alternate member and has over 50 years of experience as a real estate professional. While interacting with many shoreline town zoning boards in a professional capacity, Peter has demonstrated his knowledge in land use regulations and State statutes. As an active volunteer, serving on Lyme’s Senior Center Board of Directors, Roger’s Lake West Shores Board of Directors, and assisting at High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Peter is the epitome of volunteerism. Peter brings unprecedented experience to the Zoning Board of Appeals by combining his experiences in Old Lyme with those obtained as the Planning Board Chair in Tuckahoe, NY and a member on the Mt. Pleasant, NY Wetlands Commission.
• Brian Cole – Brian is running as an alternate member to the board. He has been a resident of Old Lyme for nearly 40 years and is well-known as a volunteer for various causes and sports programs in our community. Brian brings an important business owner’s perspective to the Zoning Board of Appeals with over four decades of experience in various industries.
The Republican endorsed candidates bring long-term leadership, ZBA experience and continuity, in-depth real estate and land use knowledge, and property development and management experience to our Zoning Board of Appeals. This team has the right balance of leadership, knowledge, experience and understanding.
Vote for the Republican candidates for the Zoning Board of Appeals on November 7th because the right collective experience counts.