Shoreline Schools Report High Staff Vaccination Rates


TwitterFacebookCopy LinkPrintEmail

Shoreline schools across eastern Connecticut are reporting high rates of compliance with Gov. Ned Lamont’s vaccine mandates, according to numbers provided by the  districts. 

Lamont signed an executive order in September requiring that all K-12 teachers and staff and childcare workers be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. School employees are allowed to opt-out of the vaccination, but must undergo weekly testing for the virus. 

All the employees listed under the order were required to receive the first dose of a vaccine by September 27, 

Of the districts stretching from Waterford to Guilford — New London did not respond to CT Examiner’s request for data — vaccine uptake ranged from 92.5 percent to 99 percent. 

Superintendent of Waterford Public Schools Thomas Girard III said that 92.5 percent of his staff had submitted proof of vaccination. The remaining 7.5 percent – which amounts to 40 employees in a district of 535 – will be testing weekly. 

Superintendent of Lyme-Old Lyme Schools Ian Neviaser said that 302 of the district’s 305 employees had submitted proof of vaccination, and three were opting to test. 

Neviaser and Jan Perruccio, superintendent of Old Saybrook Schools, the districts do not pay for the testing, and staff must get tested on their own time. The State has made COVID-19 testing centers available free of charge.

Emilia Otte

Emilia Otte covers health and education for the Connecticut Examiner. In 2022 Otte was awarded "Rookie of the Year," by the New England Newspaper & Press Association.