MYSTIC — Connecticut children will receive free admission at Mystic Seaport this weekend and Labor Day for the museum’s “End of Summer” celebration.
It’s the last free weekend at the museum, which has offered free admission to children and one accompanying adult through Connecticut’s Summer at the Museum since July 1.
Admission will include “A Spectacle In Motion: The Grand Panorama of a Whaling Voyage ‘Round the World,” a 1,275-foot-long painting that depicts the voyage of a whale ship around the globe. Painted in 1848, the work is being shown in sections at the museum’s Collins Gallery in the Thompson Exhibition Building.
Some highlights of the festival include:
- A Hula demonstration by a Polynesian dance company
- Food trucks serving Brazilian, Nigerian, & Peruvian specialties from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Storytelling from a panel sailors who have circumnavigated the globe
- Panorama-themed programs and activities for kids and adults, including a scavenger hunt, a “chalk” panorama, lectures, and seeing the stars of the voyage in the museum planetarium
- A theatrical production of “Moby-Dick in Minutes”
- Crafts and wood-carving demonstrations
Musical performances include:
- Ana Vinagre: Portuguese Fado Music Performance
- Kaiholunuie Polynesian Dance Company: Hula Demonstration
- Cape Verdean Music & Dance: Kim Alves, Gutty Duarte & Friends
- The Imbible: Sea Shanties Musical Revue
- Sea Music With Craig Edwards
It’s also one of the last chances to see the Charles W. Morgan whale ship on dry dock. The ship is the last wooden whale ship in the world and will return to the water shortly after Labor Day.
“At this end-of-summer event, we want to thank everyone who visited us this summer. We had a tremendous amount of visitors during the Summer At the Museum Program, and this is our way of thanking you for your support,” said Peter Armstrong, president of the museum.
According to a release from Mystic Seaport, the funding for the state program has already run out “but the museum decided to continue to offer free passes so the public could benefit from its offerings.”
All events and activities are included in Museum admission. To order free tickets, click here or go to www.mysticseaport.org/visit/ct-kids-free-admission/.